Saturday, March 26, 2011

Chuck Roast #1

I bought a couple of chuck roasts on sale, and I used one in the crock pot. The other I was about to cook, then decided we should smoke it.

Another rub from the internet that I tweaked:
1 t salt
1 t ground black pepper
1 t garlic powder
1/2 t dried basil
1 t paprika

The salt was pretty noticeable on my first taste, and the basil played a fabulous quiet background role. My second bite, from an inside piece, was heaven.

Picture forthcoming.

What I did wrong:
  • Failed to research how long a thick roast takes. One site suggests three phases of cooking that ranged from 2-5 hours. I guess starting at 5 pm is a bad idea. It ended up taking just under 5 hours the way we did it.
What I did right:
  • We used wood chips in with the charcoal. This tip was from Shane's colleague.
  • We used the charcoal that lights easy to start the heat, then added on regular charcoal
  • The rub was good!
  • Ordered pizza when it started to take too long
When we first got the smoker I was looking at rubs to purchase, but at this moment I have strong faith in the recipes I'm finding online that use ingredients that I generally have in my pantry. I'm extremely pleased with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment